[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy Department Seminar - April 22nd Mike Barlow

Tue Apr 19 09:17:09 CEST 2022

Hello

On Friday the 22nd of April at 10:30, Mike Barlow (UCL) will be giving
our next seminar. This will be a hybrid seminar - you are welcome to
either attend in person in FC61 or via Zoom. Mike will be visiting the
department that Friday and we will be going for lunch with him after the
seminar.

*Dust Formation by Supernovae*

The large quantities of dust found in a number of high redshift galaxies
has led to suggestions that core-collapse supernovae (CCSNe) are the
main sources of their dust and has motivated the measurement of the dust
masses formed by local and extragalactic CCSNe. A widely used technique
for CCSN dust mass determination, namely the fitting of their optical-IR
spectral energy distributions, is restricted to warmer dust emitting
shortwards of 30 microns by the lack of sufficiently sensitive
facilities operating at longer wavelengths. However, an alternative
technique for measuring total dust masses is available, one which is
insensitive to dust temperature. This method relies on the spectral
modelling of the red-blue asymmetries in late-epoch optical emission
line profiles, produced by dust within the ejecta that selectively
absorbs red-shifted photons emitted from the far side of the ejecta.
After reviewing earlier work on CCSN dust masses, I will report on dust
masses obtained from line profile fitting for a large VLT and Gemini
spectral survey of extragalactic CCSNe, some observed at epochs up to 60
years after outburst. Evidence will be presented for a slow growth in
CCSN ejecta dust masses with time, taking approximately 30 years to
saturate at a mean dust mass of 0.4 solar masses per CCSN.

Christopher Usher is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Astronomy Department Seminar
Time: Apr 22, 2022 10:30 AM Stockholm

Join Zoom Meeting
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/69462418973