[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy departmental seminar Friday October 6 at 10:30am - Matilde Mingozzi (Space Telescope Science Institute)

Mon Oct 2 17:38:55 CEST 2023

Dear all,

The next SU astronomy departmental seminar will take place on Friday
October 6 at 10:30am in room FC61 (AlbaNova building, 6th floor) and on
zoom (https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/s/61002076352).

———————————
Speaker: Matilde Mingozzi (Space Telescope Science Institute)
Title: The study of Interstellar Medium diagnostics in local galaxies to
Interpret the Reionization-Era
Event: https://indico.fysik.su.se/e/matilde-mingozzi

Abstract:
Rest-frame UV spectra play a key role in the understanding of massive
stellar populations, chemical evolution, feedback processes, and
reionization. Indeed, in the current JWST era, the UV spectroscopic
frontier has been pushed to higher redshifts than ever before, to
finally reveal the first galaxies in the distant Universe. In this
context, the HST COS Legacy Archive Spectroscopic SurveY (CLASSY)
provides the first high-quality, high-resolution and broad-wavelength
range catalogue of 45 local star-forming galaxies (SFGs) in the
rest-frame UV (1150 −2000 Å) to investigate their stellar and gas
properties. The sample is representative of SFGs across all redshifts,
including extremely metal-poor objects similar to reionization-era
systems. Hence, CLASSY provides the ideal UV atlas with which we can
tailor a complete UV diagnostic toolkit to explore the interstellar
medium (ISM) properties (i.e., density, temperature, gas-phase
metallicity, ionization parameter). In this talk I will present such a
toolkit, obtained from the analysis of the main emission lines of CLASSY
spectra and the comparison with well-known optical diagnostics. We also
compared our measurements with state-of-the-art photoionization models,
to provide the best diagnostics plots to identify the main source of
ionization. Overall, CLASSY and our UV toolkit can be crucial to
interpret the earliest galaxies revealed with JWST.
———————————

We look forward to seeing many of you there. Thanks!

Adur and Adélaïde

Upcoming Events:

2023-10-13 Guillaume Guiglion
2023-10-20 Adam Rains
2023-10-27 Maryam Saberi
2023-11-03 TBD
2023-11-10 Alberto Saldana Lopez
2023-11-17 TBD
2023-11-24 Aline Chu
2023-12-01 TBD

You can subscribe to the seminars calendar in:
https://ttt.astro.su.se/ical/astro-seminars.ics
(Please note that we are currently experiencing some technical issues
with the calendar and it is currently not displaying some of the
incoming events)
(Please note that calendar can be subject to updates)

Join Zoom Meeting:
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/s/61002076352
Meeting ID: 610 0207 6352