[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy departmental seminar Friday October 13 at 10:30am - Guillaume Guiglion (ZAH/ LSW, MPIA)

Mon Oct 9 13:49:12 CEST 2023

Dear all,

The next SU astronomy departmental seminar will take place on Friday October 13 at 10:30am in room FC61 (AlbaNova building, 6th floor) and on zoom (https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/s/61002076352).

———————————

Speaker: Guillaume Guiglion (ZAH/ LSW, MPIA)

Title: Machine-learning for stellar spectroscopy: from RAVE to Gaia-RVS & 4MOST

Event: https://indico.fysik.su.se/e/guillaume-guiglion

Abstract:

In this seminar, I will present recent developments in the field of machine-learning applied to stellar spectra in the context of large scale spectroscopic surveys, such as Gaia-ESO and RAVE. I will particularly focus on Gaia DR3, which provided the community with approximately one million RVS spectra covering the CaII triplet region. One third of the spectra have a signal-to-noise ratio from 15 to 25 per pixel. I will demonstrate that precise parametrization can be achieved for such a type of dataset by using machine-learning and the full power of the Gaia data. I will present a new approach in the form of a hybrid Convolutional Neural-Network (CNN) to derive atmospheric parameters (Teff, log(g), and [M/H]) and chemical abundances ([Fe/H] and [α/M]).

Our CNN is designed to effectively combine the Gaia DR3 RVS spectra, photometry (G, Bp, Rp), parallaxes, and XP coefficients and is able to extract additional information from non-spectral inputs to   supplement the limited spectral coverage of the RVS spectra. We manage to characterize the [α/M] − [M/H] bimodality from the inner regions to the outer part of the Milky Way, which has never been characterized using RVS spectra or similar datasets. I will also discuss the benefits of using CNNs for future  large scale spectroscopic surveys such as 4MOST.

———————————

We look forward to seeing many of you there. Thanks!

Adur and Adélaïde

Upcoming Events:

2023-10-20 Adam Rains

2023-10-27 Maryam Saberi

2023-11-03 TBA

2023-11-10 Alberto Saldana Lopez

2023-11-17 TBA

2023-11-24 Aline Chu

2023-12-01 Heitor Ernandes

2023-12-08 Quentin Perceval Xavier Pognan

You can subscribe to the seminars calendar in: https://ttt.astro.su.se/ical/astro-seminars.ics

(Please note that calendar can be subject to updates)

Join Zoom Meeting:

https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/s/61002076352

Meeting ID: 610 0207 6352