[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy departmental seminar Friday October 27 at 10:30am - Maryam Saberi (RoCS-UiO)

Mon Oct 23 12:02:19 CEST 2023

Dear all,

The next SU astronomy departmental seminar will take place on Friday October 27 at 10:30am in room FC61 (AlbaNova building, 6th floor) and on zoom (https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/s/61002076352).

———————————

Speaker: Maryam Saberi

Title: Tracing the impact of Evolved Stars on the Galactic Chemical enrichment (ESGC)

Event: https://indico.fysik.su.se/e/maryam-saberi

Abstract:

In this presentation, I will discuss my ESGC project, which was recently awarded funding from the Research Council of Norway. The primary focus of my project is on evolved stars and their impact on enriching the chemical composition of interstellar mediums and galaxies. I will begin by providing an introduction to evolved stars and the chemistry active in their outflow. Solar-type stars eject a substantial amount of heavy elements and dust particles to the interstellar medium through strong stellar winds at late phases of stellar evolution, known as the asymptotic giant branch (AGB) phase, and therefore significantly influence the chemical composition of galaxies.

In ESGC project, I aim to target two main gaps in our knowledge that can be significantly advanced with current observational facilities, new laboratory molecular data, and upgraded chemical models. These gaps concern the role of AGB stars in the production of fluorine in our Galaxy, which is an essential element for the maintenance of solidity in our bones and teeth, and the impact of a chromospheric UV radiation field on the chemistry and dust-formation process around AGB stars. Through this project, I aim to create a more realistic picture of the recycled materials and stardust from evolved stars by considering the impact of internal UV radiation in the chemical models. Finally, I will outline the observational and simulation approaches I am planning to use to achieve the main objectives of the project and highlighting the unique opportunities associated with each approach.

———————————

We look forward to seeing many of you there. Thanks!

Adur and Adélaïde

Upcoming Events:

2023-11-03 TBA

2023-11-10 Alberto Saldana Lopez

2023-11-17 TBA

2023-11-24 Aline Chu

2023-12-01 Heitor Ernandes

2023-12-08 Quentin Perceval Xavier Pognan

You can subscribe to the seminars calendar in: https://ttt.astro.su.se/ical/astro-seminars.ics

(Please note that calendar can be subject to updates)

Join Zoom Meeting:

https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/s/61002076352

Meeting ID: 610 0207 6352