[Astronomy seminar] Reminder: Astronomy departmental seminar Friday October 27 at 10:30am - Maryam Saberi (RoCS-UiO)

Fri Oct 27 09:52:30 CEST 2023

Dear all,

This is a reminder of the weekly SU astronomy departmental seminar that
will take place in about 38 minutes, at 10:30am in room FC61 (AlbaNova
building, 6th floor) and on zoom
(https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/s/61002076352). As usual, we
encourage you to attend in person if possible.

———————————

Speaker: Maryam Saberi

Title: Tracing the impact of Evolved Stars on the Galactic Chemical
enrichment (ESGC)

Event: https://indico.fysik.su.se/e/maryam-saberi

Abstract:

In this presentation, I will discuss my ESGC project, which was recently
awarded funding from the Research Council of Norway. The primary focus
of my project is on evolved stars and their impact on enriching the
chemical composition of interstellar mediums and galaxies. I will begin
by providing an introduction to evolved stars and the chemistry active
in their outflow. Solar-type stars eject a substantial amount of heavy
elements and dust particles to the interstellar medium through strong
stellar winds at late phases of stellar evolution, known as the
asymptotic giant branch (AGB) phase, and therefore significantly
influence the chemical composition of galaxies.

In ESGC project, I aim to target two main gaps in our knowledge that can
be significantly advanced with current observational facilities, new
laboratory molecular data, and upgraded chemical models. These gaps
concern the role of AGB stars in the production of fluorine in our
Galaxy, which is an essential element for the maintenance of solidity in
our bones and teeth, and the impact of a chromospheric UV radiation
field on the chemistry and dust-formation process around AGB stars.
Through this project, I aim to create a more realistic picture of the
recycled materials and stardust from evolved stars by considering the
impact of internal UV radiation in the chemical models. Finally, I will
outline the observational and simulation approaches I am planning to use
to achieve the main objectives of the project and highlighting the
unique opportunities associated with each approach.

———————————

We look forward to seeing many of you there. Thanks!

Adur and Adélaïde

Upcoming Events:

2023-11-03 Linn Boldt-Christmas
2023-11-10 Alberto Saldana Lopez
2023-11-17 TBA
2023-11-24 Aline Chu
2023-12-01 Heitor Ernandes
2023-12-08 Quentin Perceval Xavier Pognan

You can subscribe to the seminars calendar in:
https://ttt.astro.su.se/ical/astro-seminars.ics
(Please note that calendar can be subject to updates)

Join Zoom Meeting:
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/s/61002076352
Meeting ID: 610 0207 6352