[Astronomy seminar] Reminder: Astronomy departmental seminar Friday November 24 at 10:30am - Aline Chu (Stockholm University)

Fri Nov 24 09:55:56 CET 2023

Dear all,

This is a reminder of the weekly SU astronomy departmental seminar that
will take place in about 34 minutes, at 10:30am in room FC61 (AlbaNova
building, 6th floor) and on zoom
(https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/s/61002076352). As usual, we
encourage you to attend in person if possible.
___________________

Speaker: Aline Chu (Stockholm University)
Title: Evolution of the properties of brightest galaxies of clusters and
groups since the last 10 Gyrs
Event: https://indico.fysik.su.se/e/aline-chu

Abstract:
Galaxy clusters are the largest gravitationally bound structures of the
Universe. At the center of these clusters reside the most massive
galaxies observable today, Brightest Cluster Galaxies (BCGs). BCGs are
the final products of 10 Gyrs of consecutive galactic mergers in the
densest regions of the cosmic web. They are excellent tracers of cluster
formation, and ideal to study the impact of environmental processes on
galactic formation.
The characterization of the physical properties of BCGs is important to
obtain better knowledge of these galaxies. We have built new catalogues
of BCGs which have allowed us to conduct a deeper analysis of the
formation of BCGs, thanks to the bigger statistics we reached.
We find BCGs have shown a lack of evolution of their sizes and
luminosities in the last 10 Gyrs, hinting at an earlier formation epoch
and absence of recent significant growth. Their structural properties,
however, may have changed over time, as hinted by the detection of an
envelope only at recent epoch. We also compare the evolution of BCGs and
the brightest galaxies of less dense environments such as galaxy groups
or more special systems such as fossil groups (FGs). We find that
brightest galaxies of FGs evolve more similarly to BCGs of clusters than
brightest galaxies of normal groups of galaxies, as inferred from their
Kormendy relations.
These results may be confirmed with the future Rubin-LSST survey which
will observe the entire southern sky at even further lookback times,
providing us with images of unprecedented depth.

We look forward to seeing many of you there. Thanks!

Adur and Adélaïde

Upcoming Events:

2023-12-01 Heitor Ernandes
2023-12-08 Quentin Perceval Xavier Pognan
--- Winter break ---

You can subscribe to the seminars calendar in:
https://ttt.astro.su.se/ical/astro-seminars.ics
(Please note that calendar can be subject to updates)