[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy departmental seminar Friday December 1 at 10:30am - Heitor Ernandes (Lund University)

Mon Nov 27 20:45:48 CET 2023

Dear all,

The next SU astronomy departmental seminar will take place on Friday December 1 at 10:30am in room FC61 (AlbaNova building, 6th floor) and on zoom (https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/s/61002076352).

___________________

Speaker: Heitor Ernandes (Lund University)

Title: The Bright Future of Ground-Based Near-UV Spectroscopy for R-rich Stars

Event: https://indico.fysik.su.se/e/heitor-ernandes

Abstract:

Stars that present an enhancement in r-process elements are rare objects in the sky. Only 72 stars are categorised as r-II stars, which show a high level of enhancement in the elements such as Europium. They are the key to understanding the astrophysical site where these heavy elements can be synthesised and the time scale of these events. However, to have a complete picture of these r-process creation sites, we need the complete abundance pattern for chemically peculiar stars such as actinide boost and CEMP stars. To access all this information, it is needed to observe under 4000 Å. However, this region is heavily affected by atmosphere absorption. Overcoming this challenge, the forthcoming generation of instruments, exemplified by VLT-CUBES, holds significant promise for refining near-UV observational capabilities from the ground.

___________________

We look forward to seeing many of you there. Thanks!

Adur and Adélaïde

Upcoming Events:

2023-12-08 Quentin Perceval Xavier Pognan

--- Winter break ---

You can subscribe to the seminars calendar in: https://ttt.astro.su.se/ical/astro-seminars.ics

(Please note that calendar can be subject to updates)

Join Zoom Meeting:

https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/s/61002076352

Meeting ID: 610 0207 6352