[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy departmental seminar Friday February 9 at 10:30am - Andrius Popovas (RoCS - UiO)

Mon Feb 5 12:23:44 CET 2024

Dear all,

The next SU astronomy departmental seminar will take place on Friday February 9 at 10:30am in room FC61 (AlbaNova building, 6th floor) and on zoom (https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/62211269644?pwd=K0J2eVVMa3pTa1JVN2lyRUJPR3Rjdz09).

___________________

Speaker: Andrius Popovas (RoCS - UiO)

Title: Realistic Simulations of Solar Dynamics

Event: https://indico.fysik.su.se/e/andrius_popovas

Abstract:

Due largely to computational resource limitations, solar research evolved as distinct “internal-” and “surface-” related research fields, preventing an integrated global view of the Sun's complex plasma dynamics. However, the Sun encompasses large-scale hierarchical structures, extending from its deep core to its outer atmosphere. Magnetic flux, pivotal for many phenomena, such as sunspots and solar flares, may be generated through both local and large-scale dynamo actions within the solar interior, interacting with motions in the convection zone that are ultimately driven by cooling at the very surface.

The current advancements in high performance computing (HPC) infrastructure finally allows us to address the burgeoning need for an integrated understanding of the solar dynamics from the core to the photosphere and beyond.

In this talk I will overview what insights we already got from the large scale simulations and present the current state of our work in progress – the global compressible MHD simulations covering the entire convection zone of the Sun.

___________________

We look forward to seeing many of you there. Thanks!

Adur, Adélaïde, and Sanja

Upcoming Events:

2024-02-16 Daniel Siegel

2024-02-21 Johan Richard (**Seminar on WEDNESDAY**)

2024-03-01 ** No seminar **

2024-03-08 TBA

2024-03-15 Joe Lewis

2024-03-22 Khaled Al Moulla

2024-03-29 ** No seminar **

2024-04-05 Simon Ringqvist

You can subscribe to the seminars calendar in: https://ttt.astro.su.se/ical/astro-seminars.ics

(Please note that calendar can be subject to updates)

Join Zoom Meeting:

https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/62211269644?pwd=K0J2eVVMa3pTa1JVN2lyRUJPR3Rjdz09

Meeting ID: 622 1126 9644; Password : 593083