[Astronomy seminar] Reminder: Astronomy departmental seminar Friday February 9 at 10:30am - Andrius Popovas (RoCS - UiO)

Fri Feb 9 09:39:24 CET 2024

Dear all,

This is a reminder of the weekly SU astronomy departmental seminar that
will take place in about 50 minutes, at 10:30am in room FC61 (AlbaNova
building, 6th floor) and on zoom
(https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/62211269644?pwd=K0J2eVVMa3pTa1JVN2lyRUJPR3Rjdz09).
As usual, we encourage you to attend in person if possible.
___________________

Speaker: Andrius Popovas (RoCS - UiO)
Title: Realistic Simulations of Solar Dynamics
Event: https://indico.fysik.su.se/e/andrius_popovas

Abstract:
Due largely to computational resource limitations, solar research
evolved as distinct “internal-” and “surface-” related research fields,
preventing an integrated global view of the Sun's complex plasma
dynamics. However, the Sun encompasses large-scale hierarchical
structures, extending from its deep core to its outer atmosphere.
Magnetic flux, pivotal for many phenomena, such as sunspots and solar
flares, may be generated through both local and large-scale dynamo
actions within the solar interior, interacting with motions in the
convection zone that are ultimately driven by cooling at the very surface.
The current advancements in high performance computing (HPC)
infrastructure finally allows us to address the burgeoning need for an
integrated understanding of the solar dynamics from the core to the
photosphere and beyond.
In this talk I will overview what insights we already got from the large
scale simulations and present the current state of our work in progress
– the global compressible MHD simulations covering the entire convection
zone of the Sun.
___________________

We look forward to seeing many of you there. Thanks!

Adur, Adélaïde, and Sanja

Upcoming Events:

2024-02-16 Daniel Siegel
2024-02-21 Johan Richard (**Seminar on WEDNESDAY**)
2024-03-01 ** No seminar **
2024-03-08 TBA
2024-03-15 Joe Lewis
2024-03-22 Khaled Al Moulla
2024-03-29 ** No seminar **
2024-04-05 Simon Ringqvist

You can subscribe to the seminars calendar in:
https://ttt.astro.su.se/ical/astro-seminars.ics
(Please note that calendar can be subject to updates)