[Astronomy seminar] Reminder: Astronomy departmental seminar Friday February 16 at 10:30am - Daniel Siegel (University of Greifswald)

Fri Feb 16 09:27:56 CET 2024

Dear all,

This is a reminder of the weekly SU astronomy departmental seminar that will take place in about 63 minutes, at 10:30am in room FC61 (AlbaNova building, 6th floor) and on zoom (https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/62211269644?pwd=K0J2eVVMa3pTa1JVN2lyRUJPR3Rjdz09). As usual, we encourage you to attend in person if possible.

___________________

Speaker: Daniel Siegel (University of Greifswald)

Title: Nucleosynthesis and electromagnetic transients from neutron-star mergers and rare types of core-collapse supernovae

Event: https://indico.fysik.su.se/e/daniel_siegel

Abstract: Multi-messenger astronomy sheds light on the astrophysics of black holes and neutron stars and also enables unique probes of fundamental physics. I will discuss recent results on how the mergers of neutron stars as well as other explosive systems, such as the death of massive, rotating stars, give rise to the formation of heavy elements in the universe. In particular, I will discuss recent results at the interface of numerical relativity, relativistic astrophysics, and nuclear astrophysics, and highlight how multi-messenger astronomy may lead to the answer of a 70-year old fundamental question in physics: How does the Universe create the heaviest elements?

___________________

We look forward to seeing many of you there. Thanks!

Adur, Adélaïde, and Sanja

Upcoming Events:

2024-02-21 Johan Richard (**Seminar on WEDNESDAY**)

2024-03-01 ** No seminar **

2024-03-08 Jack William Edmund Mallinson

2024-03-15 Joe Lewis

2024-03-22 Khaled Al Moulla

2024-03-29 ** No seminar **

2024-04-05 Simon Ringqvist

2024-04-12 Alex Riley

You can subscribe to the seminars calendar in: https://ttt.astro.su.se/ical/astro-seminars.ics

(Please note that calendar can be subject to updates)

Join Zoom Meeting:

https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/62211269644?pwd=K0J2eVVMa3pTa1JVN2lyRUJPR3Rjdz09

Meeting ID: 622 1126 9644; Password : 593083