[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy departmental seminar Friday February 16 at 10:30am - Daniel Siegel (University of Greifswald)

Mon Feb 12 13:25:52 CET 2024

Dear all,

The next SU astronomy departmental seminar will take place on Friday
February 16 at 10:30am in room FC61 (AlbaNova building, 6th floor) and
on zoom
(https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/62211269644?pwd=K0J2eVVMa3pTa1JVN2lyRUJPR3Rjdz09).
___________________

Speaker: Daniel Siegel (University of Greifswald)
Title: Nucleosynthesis and electromagnetic transients from neutron-star
mergers and rare types of core-collapse supernovae
Event: https://indico.fysik.su.se/e/daniel_siegel

Abstract: Multi-messenger astronomy sheds light on the astrophysics of
black holes and neutron stars and also enables unique probes of
fundamental physics. I will discuss recent results on how the mergers of
neutron stars as well as other explosive systems, such as the death of
massive, rotating stars, give rise to the formation of heavy elements in
the universe. In particular, I will discuss recent results at the
interface of numerical relativity, relativistic astrophysics, and
nuclear astrophysics, and highlight how multi-messenger astronomy may
lead to the answer of a 70-year old fundamental question in physics: How
does the Universe create the heaviest elements?
___________________

We look forward to seeing many of you there. Thanks!

Adur, Adélaïde, and Sanja

Upcoming Events:

2024-02-21 Johan Richard (**Seminar on WEDNESDAY**)
2024-03-01 ** No seminar **
2024-03-08 TBA
2024-03-15 Joe Lewis
2024-03-22 Khaled Al Moulla
2024-03-29 ** No seminar **
2024-04-05 Simon Ringqvist
2024-04-12 Alex Riley

You can subscribe to the seminars calendar in:
https://ttt.astro.su.se/ical/astro-seminars.ics
(Please note that calendar can be subject to updates)

Join Zoom Meeting:
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/62211269644?pwd=K0J2eVVMa3pTa1JVN2lyRUJPR3Rjdz09
Meeting ID: 622 1126 9644; Password : 593083