[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy departmental seminar Wednesday April 10 at 10:30am - Yutong He (Stockholm University)

Mon Apr 8 09:35:19 CEST 2024

Dear all,

The next SU astronomy departmental seminar will take place on Wednesday
April 10 at 10:30am in room FC61 (AlbaNova building, 6th floor) and on
zoom
(https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/62211269644?pwd=K0J2eVVMa3pTa1JVN2lyRUJPR3Rjdz09).
___________________

Speaker: Yutong He (Stockholm University)
Title: Cosmological gravitational waves and their interaction with
large-scale magnetic fields
Event: https://indico.fysik.su.se/e/yutong_he
<https://indico.fysik.su.se/e/yutong_he>

Abstract:
Gravitational waves (GWs) and magnetic fields are two essential topics
of cosmology. They interact in different ways in the early and late
Universe.

In the radiation era preceding the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB),
stochastic GW backgrounds (SGWBs) can be produced by magnetohydrodynamic
(MHD) turbulence after the phase transitions at the electroweak (EW) and
quantum chromodynamic (QCD) scales. We develop a general framework to
study the SGWB spectrum in general relativity (GR) and modified gravity
(MG) theories, with massive gravity and scalar-tensor theories as two
examples. We then apply the framework to the MHD-GW system at the EW and
QCD phase transitions to provide concrete constraints on effective MG
parameters in light of ongoing and upcoming GW experiments, such as the
Laser Interferometer Space Antenna (LISA) in the mHz band, and various
pulsar timing array (PTA) collaborations in the nHz band.

In the post-CMB Universe, high-frequency GWs (HFGWs) propagating through
large-scale magnetic fields have a probability of converting into
photons of the same frequency. This conversion contributes to the
distortion of blackbody CMB. Using the reported excess radio signals
over the CMB, we place upper limits on the HFGW amplitude. We also
forecast the capability of the Square Kilometer Array (SKA) and proposed
future CMB surveys to significantly tighten the existing HFGW upper
bounds in the MHz to THz frequency bands.

___________________

We look forward to seeing many of you there. Thanks!

Adur, Adélaïde, and Sanja

Upcoming Events:

2024-04-12 Alex Riley
2024-04-19 Arthur Choplin
2024-04-26 Dominique Petit
2024-05-03 Gang Li
2024-05-08 Ivo (**Seminar on WEDNESDAY**)
2024-05-10 Ray Jayawardhana (**Seminar on KLÄMDAG**)
2024-05-14 Gayathri Viswanath (**Seminar on TUSDAY**)
2024-05-17 Elena Khomenko

You can subscribe to the seminars calendar in:
https://ttt.astro.su.se/ical/astro-seminars.ics
(Please note that calendar can be subject to updates)

Join Zoom Meeting:
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/62211269644?pwd=K0J2eVVMa3pTa1JVN2lyRUJPR3Rjdz09
Meeting ID: 622 1126 9644