[OKC-CosmologyGravity] Extra Thursday colloquium

Edvard Mörtsell edvard at fysik.su.se
Mon Nov 2 12:04:27 CET 2015

Hi all,

Spephan Rosswog asked me to alert you all that there will be an extra
colloquium Thursday at 14:00 that should be of special interest to us:

Radio astronomy and the centenary of general relativity
           AlbaNova and Nordita Colloquium

     Speaker :     Michael Kramer (Max-Planck Institute for Radio
Astronomy, Bonn)

     Abstract :     This year, we celebrate the centenary of Einstein’s
theory of general relativity. When the theory was conceived, the number
of experimental tests to confront the theory with was limited. Since
then we have come a long way. In particular astronomical observations
provide precision tests that were inconceivable even 50 years ago. We
use neutron stars observable as pulsars to provide the most precise
tests for strongly self-gravitating bodies, to prove that gravitational
waves exist or to measure the effects of curvature of space time. We
also attempt to determine the properties of black holes, such as their
mass and spin to test the description of black holes within general
relativity. One of the highlights will be an image of the “shadow" of
the supermassive black hole in the centre of our Milky Way. Soon we also
expect that the direct detection of gravitational waves opens up a new
window to Einstein’s Universe. In all cases, neutron stars or black
holes play a crucial role. In this talk I will review some of the
current and future tests of general relativity, but will also mention
alternative theories of gravity and other applications of radio
astronomy for fundamental physics, such as studying the
equation-of-state of super-dense matter.

Best / Edvard

--
Edvard Mortsell