[Okc-wp4] EO meeting Thu Feb 27 @ 13:15 at Room A5:1003

Andre Schneider andre.schneider at astro.su.se
Tue Feb 25 12:07:39 CET 2020

Dear colleagues,

our next EO meeting will take place this Thursday Feb 27 at 13:15.

The meeting will take place in Room A5:1003.
This is the "Room with a View" in the 5th floor.

This week Shuai Zha (Stockholm University) will present

Title: Evolution of ONeMg Core in Super-AGB Stars toward Electron-capture Supernovae

Abstract: Stars with ~8¨C10 M ¡Ñ evolve to form a strongly degenerate ONeMg core. When the core mass becomes close to the Chandrasekhar mass, the core undergoes electron captures on 24Mg and 20Ne that induce an electron-capture supernova (ECSN). Previous results suggested that the ONeMg core in ECSN will collapse into a neutron star (NS). However, this scenario is not unambiguously justified. Alternatively, the oxygen deflagration initialized by the heating due to electron capture on 20Ne may lead to a partial thermonuclear explosion.
In this talk, I will present our new results of ECSN progenitor evolution based on MESA and 2D flame-capturing hydrodynamics simulations. I will discuss the uncertainties that hinder a conclusive answer on whether NS formation is the outcome of ECSN. At last, I will briefly introduce some recent works on the observational features of ECSN.

See you there!

Andr¨¦ da Silva Schneider

Department of Astronomy

Stockholm University