[Okc-wp4] EO meeting: 9th of December

Davide Gizzi davide.gizzi at astro.su.se
Mon Dec 6 08:23:55 CET 2021

Dear all,

our next EO meeting will take place this Thursday, 9th of December, at 13:15 (CET) via Zoom.

To join access: https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/67378581617

The speaker is Smaranika Banerjee, PhD candidate in Tohoku University, Japan. She is currently working on the theoretical modeling of kilonova from neutron star mergers, focusing on its early phase.

Below is title and abstract of the talk.

Title: The early-time kilonova emission from neutron star mergers

Abstract: The origin of elements heavier than iron has long been predicted to be the binary neutron star merger. In the neutron-rich material ejected from the binary neutron star merger, heavy elements are synthesized via rapid neutron capture (r-process). The radioactive decay of such elements produces emission in the ultraviolet-optical-infrared (UVOIR) range, called a kilonova (Li and Paczynsky 1998, ApJ).
The first UVOIR signal from the binary neutron star merger was detected by the follow-up observation of the gravitational wave event GW170817. Although the radioactive decay of the heavy elements is confirmed to be the source of the UVOIR observation at late time, the emission mechanism of the bright UV and blue emission detected in the early time (t < 1 day) did not reach a consensus. Understanding the entire kilonova light curve is essential to understanding the origin of the heavy elements. In my talk, I will give a general overview of kilonova and share some of our recent progress of modelling the kilonova at an early time.

Hope to see you there!

Ana Sagués Carracedo & Davide Gizzi