[Okc-wp4] EO meeting: 21st of April

Ana Sagués Carracedo ana.sagues-carracedo at fysik.su.se
Thu Apr 14 17:22:14 CEST 2022

Dear all,

our next Extreme Object meeting will be next Thursday, 21st of April, at 13:15 (CET). The speaker is Tuomas Kangas from KTH. He will talk about his recently submitted paper on hydrogen-rich superluminous supernovae.

The meeting will be held in hybrid mode at the Albano 3:6228 - Mega room.

To join remotely via zoom:
https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/j/65883589027?pwd=RGxJOUVQWmNtMlZFMUIwaHRabkExdz09

Meeting ID: 658 8358 9027

Title:
Power sources of hydrogen-rich superluminous supernovae

Abstract:
Superluminous supernovae (SLSNe), with their often-extreme luminosity compared with the typical core-collapse supernovae (CCSNe) of massive stars, cannot be explained with the power sources typical to their lower-luminosity counterparts. Analogously to CCSNe, SLSNe are divided into hydrogen-poor (type I) and hydrogen-rich (type II). Most hydrogen-rich SLSNe are clearly powered by interaction with a dense circumstellar medium (CSM) and have spectra with strong narrow emission lines, while hydrogen-poor ones are thought to be powered by the spin-down of a magnetar born in the explosion. In rare cases, SLSNe II with broad emission lines but no narrow lines are found; the power sources of such SNe have been ambiguous, with both magnetars and CSM interaction as possible explanations, but only a few are known in the literature. I present a study based on 14 SLSNe II without narrow lines, the largest such sample to date, discovered and/or followed up by the Zwicky Transient Facility between 2018 and 2020. We have examined the light curves, spectra and host galaxies of these SLSNe and fitted light curve models to them. While light curve models have trouble distinguishing between magnetars and CSM, other signs point toward interaction being the dominant powering mechanism of SLSNe II. The most luminous ones, however, may need another power source as well.

Kind regards,

Note: We welcome our new organiser Haakon Andresen

Ana Sagués Carracedo & Davide Gizzi & Haakon Andresen