[Okc-wp4] EO meeting 10th November

Ana Sagués Carracedo ana.sagues-carracedo at fysik.su.se
Mon Nov 7 23:49:29 CET 2022

Dear all,

We are having an Extreme Object meeting this week on Thursday 10th November at 13:15 in the Mega room (6th floor, house 3, where Nordita).

Our speaker is Katie Freeze’s PhD student visiting us from Texas. He will stay around until the end of the month and will present some of his work to us.

Following tittle and abstract:

Dark Matter Annihilation in Stars: A New Lease on Life?

What happens to a star when fusion isn't the only relevant power source? We explore how introducing non-nuclear energy, such as energy that could come from dark matter annihilation, affects the evolution of massive stars. In particular, we aim to determine whether stars which produce a significant amount of energy from non-nuclear sources can avoid undergoing pair instability supernovae, and can therefore form black holes in the forbidden mass gap between 50 and 140 Msun.

Looking forward  to see you in a couple of days,

Kind regards,
Ana Sagués Carracedo & Haakon Andresen