[Okc-wp4] EO seminar on the 21st of September

Haakon Andresen haakon.andresen at astro.su.se
Fri Sep 15 10:38:23 CEST 2023

Hi everyone,

Our next talk will be on the 21st at 13:00 in Albanova A5:1003.

Title: 1100 Days in the Life of the Supernova 2018ibb --- the Best Pair-Instability Supernova Candidate, to date

Speaker: Steve Schulze

Abstract: Super-luminous supernovae (SLSNe) were discovered over a decade ago, but their sources of energy and progenitors remain enigmatic. Over the past years, we carried out a systematic survey on SLSNe with the Zwicky Transient Facility to map out the parameter space of SLSN properties and find the most extreme SLSNe. 2018ibb is one the most extreme and exciting SLSNe known today. Between mid-2018 and early 2022, we monitored its photometric and spectroscopic evolution from the UV to the NIR with 2-10m class telescopes to unravel its powering mechanism and progenitor. In this talk, I will present the rich and perplexing properties of 2018ibb. I will compare existing SLSN models with the data to argue that 2018ibb is powered by 25-44 solar masses of freshly nucleosynthesised Ni-56 and that 2018ibb is, hence, very likely a pair-instability supernova. However, the picture of 2018ibb is more complex than existing PISNe models can currently capture. In the remainder of the talk, I will discuss these “issues” and put forward suggestions on how PISN models could be expanded. This work is based on the recently submitted paper: https://arxiv.org/abs/2305.05796.

When: 21st 13:000
Where: Albanova A5:1003 (KTH room)

Best,
Haakon (on behalf of the EO organisers)