[Okc-wp4] EO seminar 9th of November

Haakon Andresen haakon.andresen at astro.su.se
Tue Nov 7 09:33:52 CET 2023

Dear everyone,

This weeks EO seminar will take place in A5:1003 and our speaker will be Ersilia Guarini.

Ersilia is visiting from the Niels Bohr institute and will be here on Friday as well.

I will take the speaker out for dinner on Thursday, let me know if you wish to join.

When/where: A5:1003/13:00
Speaker: Ersilia Guarini
Title: Exploring the Transient Universe with Ghostly Messengers
Abstract: Astrophysical transients are among the most enigmatic cosmic events ever observed. Besides being electromagnetically puzzling, they may also be copious factories of high energy neutrinos. Due to their elusive nature, neutrinos point back to the source that produced them, granting us the unique opportunity to test the most extreme astrophysical environments. In this talk, we will dive into the potential of these ghostly messengers to probe a wide range of astrophysical transients stemming from collapsing massive stars, including supernovae (SNe), gamma-ray bursts (GRBs) and fast blue optical transients (FBOTs). In preparation for the upcoming neutrino telescopes and electromagnetic surveys, we will outline a strategy to optimize multi-messenger follow-up searches from explosive transients. Only by leveraging multi-messenger synergies, can we have a clear picture of the nature of the most energetic phenomena occurring in our Universe.

Best,
Haakon (on behalf of the EO organizers)