[Primeusers] PrimeGSR memory usage

Filipe Garrett fgarret at ub.edu
Mon Mar 16 11:38:02 CET 2009

Dear Lars,

As I had already told you, I am working with two datasets: one with 90 and the other with 375 sequences.
With the smallest one I have no problem when I use a scaled tree to a root of 1.0 but, with the
other, even with the scaled tree, I have to increase the "-c" option a lot.
While the first dataset works with a "-c 90", the second needs at least a "-c 650"! I've only tried
until "-c 650" since, at these level, primeGSR already uses over 33Gb of memory and still outputs
the error message:

"
Error:
       Probability: Division with zero attempted!
"

Is this normal and is there a way to reduce memory usage?
Does the quality of the alignment has any influence in running time and memory usage? Does the
alignment quality has a great influence on the birth and death rates estimates? I'm asking these
because I'm working with a rather divergent gene family and the alignment is likely to have a lot of
gaps (automatic alignment with no manual revision). I'm mainly interested on the birth and death
rates estimates...

thanks for your time,
FG

--