[Socbin] Fwd: conference call

Arne Elofsson arne at bioinfo.se
Mon Apr 16 22:42:33 CEST 2007

Dear Sirs,
I'm the principal scientific organizer of the conference "biology
without borders". This is an event that is a blend between workshop and
conference, aiming to bring theoretical and experimental scientists
working in the field of systems biology. It puts a strong emphasis on
evolutionary approaching, while trying to achieve a system level
understanding in biology.

My colleague David Liberles suggest your e-mail list as a potential way
to distribute the call for this conference. I would appreciate it if you
could post the following message on your list.

best regards,

--
Orkun S. Soyer, PhD

CoSBi
The Microsoft Research - University of Trento
Centre for Computational and Systems Biology
www.cosbi.eu

"BIOLOGY WITHOUT BORDERS"
2-5 October 2007, CoSBi, Trento, ITALY
http://www.cosbi.eu/events/bwb07.php

As we try to increase our understanding of biology, the focus of
research is shifting from parts to systems. This shift brings with
itself a blending of tools, scientific fields, expertise, and people in
order to properly address the new challenges that arise.

"Biology without Borders" recognizes such shift and aims to embrace it
with a unique open format. Its focus will be theoretical and
experimental approaches which are allowing a more complete and system
level understanding of biology and which recognize the importance of
evolution for achieving such understanding. Expected attendees are
scientists with such a research agenda, irrespective of the tools they
use or their background. The scientific exchange in this highly
interdisciplinary setting will be catalyzed by the following invited
speakers:

Sebastian Bonhoeffer, ETH
Nicolas Buchler, Rockefeller University
Wolfgang Marwan, MPI
Michael Stumpf, Imperial College London
Michael Laub, MIT
Stas Shvartsman, Princeton
Leah Cowen, University of Toronto
Richard Lenski, Michigan State University
Sarah Teichmann, MRC
Francois Taddei, INSERM
Uwe Sauer, ETH
Doris Bachtrog, UCSD
Dan Andersson*, Uppsala University
Andre Levchenko, John Hopkins University
Andreas Wagner*, Uni. Zurich
*to be confirmed.

A blend of conference and workshop, "Biology without Borders" is
intended to provide the right stage to interact and discuss. Organized
by the Microsoft Research – University of Trento Centre for
Computational and Systems Biology (CoSBi), the meeting found the perfect
setting for such stage in the beautiful medieval town of Trento, Italy.
Over two full and two half days, participants will attend 30 talks in 6
sessions. Afternoons will be open, featuring small walks in and around
Trento to refresh the mind. To enhance the quality of discussion and
interaction, attendance will be limited to 60, including selected and
invited speakers.

Interested participants should apply with the abstract of the intended
presentation or a short description of research interests. Deadline for
applications is 31 May 2007. Conference details and application forms
can be found online at: http://www.cosbi.eu/events/bwb07.php