[Socbin] Postdoctoral positions in Bioinformatics

Salter, Hugh Hugh.Salter at astrazeneca.com
Wed Sep 29 16:20:58 CEST 2010

Postdoctoral positions in Bioinformatics / Computational Systems Biology-SOD000000WN

http://www.astrazeneca.se/Career/Vacancies?itemId=3184958&nav=yes <http://www.astrazeneca.se/Career/Vacancies?itemId=3184958&nav=yes>

Description

AstraZeneca is a major international healthcare business engaged in the research, development, manufacture and marketing of prescription pharmaceuticals and the supply of healthcare services. But we're more than one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca, we're proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives - and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.

The arena

The Innovative Medicines unit at AstraZenca R&D Södertälje carries out drug discovery research in Alzheimers disease and in neuropathic pain, delivering novel treatments that address unmet medical need. Within the Innovative Medicines unit, the Neuroscience department of c. 130 scientists hosts state of the art bioscience research, from target discovery to translational science.

The role

We are looking for two postdoctoral scientists to join an ongoing research program on biomarker discovery and validation in Alzheimers disease. The postdoctoral scientists will join a cross-functional team of biologists, statisticians and clinicians looking to identify biomarkers that select the right patient, for the right drug, at the right time - our vision of personalised healthcare.

Preferred experience/requirements

*	Candidates must have, or expect to graduate soon with, a PhD (or equivalent) in the general field of bioinformatics, and specifically in a discipline such as systems / computational biology, biostatistics or statistical genetics. The research project involves integration, modeling and systems/pathway analysis of extensive clinical, biochemical, genetic, bioimaging and cognitive datasets from public domain, collaborative and in-house sources.
*	Candidates must have experience of data analysis, preferably including multivariate analysis, in at least one of these domains.  The aim is to identify and validate novel biomarkers of disease and disease progression.
*	Candidates must be able to work fluently in English, and must have a demonstrated ability to function independently within an interdisciplinary team. Experience of research in neuroscience is preferred, but is not essential.

Our aim is to lead the field in the development of markers for patient selection and stratification.

The postitions are available for up to two years in the first instance.

More information

For further information, contact Hugh Salter on +46 8 553 23406

Confidentiality Notice: This message is private and may contain confidential and proprietary information. If you have received this message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system and note that you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. Any unauthorized use or disclosure of the contents of this message is not permitted and may be unlawful.