[SocBiN] Bioinformatics job at Cancer Research UK in Cambridge

Margus Lukk margus.lukk at cancer.org.uk
Thu Jun 14 14:30:01 CEST 2012

Dear All,

Duncan Odom lab at Cancer Research UK Cambridge Research Institute is
announcing following job opening.

Best,
Margus

      Senior Computational Biology Analyst-SCI00224

Closing Date:11/Jul/2012, 12:00:00 AM

*
*

*About the Job
*The Cambridge Research Institute (CRI) is a major new initiative of
Cancer Research UK, in collaboration with the University of Cambridge.
Strategically situated on the Addenbrooke’s biomedical campus, the
Institute emphasises a multi-disciplinary approach linking the
laboratory to the clinic to solve problems associated with the
prevention, diagnosis and treatment of cancer.

We are seeking a highly motivated Bioinformatician to work in Duncan
Odom’s Regulatory Systems Biology Laboratory, a biological research
group which takes a systems-level, integrative approach to explore the
control and evolution of gene expression. The Odom laboratory
collaborates closely with a number of computational research groups at
the EMBL-EBI in Hinxton, and are looking to add a supporting
computational biologist to our research team, which currently has one
computational and eight wet-lab biologists.

You will work closely with scientists in handling and analyzing data
generated by our in-house Illumina genomics platforms for a range of
applications including differential gene expression, ChIP analysis of
DNA-bound proteins (ChIP-seq) and DNase I hypersensitivity. You will
also gain experience in experimental design and downstream analysis
techniques, such as identifying gene signatures and regulatory networks.

The laboratory's HTP sequencing data, includes: transcription factor
binding (ChIP); histone localization; identification of mRNA, small RNA,
and total RNA; chromatin conformation analysis (ChIA-PET), and
resequencing and structural variation analysis (paired-end genomic
DNA).  There will be an ongoing need for development and automation of
analyses involving sequence alignment and assembly.

*About You*
Prior experience with microarray data (Illumina, Agilent, Affymetrix and
Nimblegen) or sequencing data in a range of different scientific
applications, including differential gene expression, chromatin
confirmation, CGH, ChIP, and SNP identification, would be recommended.
Fluency in Linux is essential and excellent knowledge in at least one of
the following programming languages is expected: Python, Perl, R, C/C++.

You will have an MSc in a scientific or computational discipline and
significant or extensive experience in Computational Biology. A PhD
would be highly advantageous. The role requires good communication
skills as you will work closely with bench scientists and other
computational biologists. You should be able to demonstrate the ability
to work well in a team while also being a proactive individual capable
of independent work.

Please note that although this position requires high levels of
computational competence, expertise, creativity and enthusiasm, this
position is not a postdoctoral fellowship.  Instead, this post is an
unusual opportunity for a computational research scientist to obtain
exposure and involvement across the research portfolio of a cutting-edge
genomics research group in a protected staff position.

*About Cancer Research UK*
Cancer Research UK is the world's largest cancer charity dedicated to
beating cancer through research. With a total of over £332 million spent
on research during the 2010/11 financial year, funding the work of more
than 4,000 researchers, doctors and nurses throughout the UK, our
groundbreaking work into the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of
cancer has saved millions of lives’. With over 3,500 staff, we are a
large, complex, dynamic and diverse charity.

*How to Apply
*All applications should be made via the Cancer Research UK careers
website, where you will need to create a profile before you can submit
an application.

_https://cruk.taleo.net/careersection/cruk_corporate/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=SCI00224
<https://cruk.taleo.net/careersection/cruk_corporate/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=SCI00224>_

Our online application process also involves attaching your CV and
Covering letter which should outline your interest in applying for the
role and explain how you meet the set criteria.

The full role profile is available here:
http://aboutus.cancerresearchuk.org/groups/cr_common/@abt/@hre/documents/generalcontent/hr_role_profile_sci00224.pdf

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER
This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended for the above-named person(s). If you are not the intended recipient, notify the sender immediately, delete this email from your system and do not disclose or use for any purpose.

We may monitor all incoming and outgoing emails in line with current legislation. We have taken steps to ensure that this email and attachments are free from any virus, but it remains your responsibility to ensure that viruses do not adversely affect you.
Cancer Research UK
Registered in England and Wales
Company Registered Number: 4325234.
Registered Charity Number: 1089464 and Scotland SC041666
Registered Office Address: Angel Building, 407 St John Street, London EC1V 4AD.