[SocBiN] a position for a postdoc in RNA 3D modeling, in the Bujnicki lab in Warsaw

Janusz Bujnicki iamb at genesilico.pl
Wed Jan 9 14:49:53 CET 2013

Dear Colleague,

I would greatly appreciate if you could pass my advertisement to the
SocBiN email list. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Janusz Bujnicki

------------------------------

The Bujnicki laboratory in the International Institute of Molecular and
Cell Biology (IIMCB) in Warsaw, Poland offers a postdoctoral position in
a project aiming at the development of new methods for modeling of RNA
3D structure, design of RNA, and prediction of effects of mutations on
RNA stability and function.

IIMCB (http://iimcb.gov.pl) is the top-ranked Polish research institute
in the field of biology. The institute offers excellent working
environment and provides cutting-edge equipment and facilities. The
Bujnicki laboratory (http://iimcb.genesilico.pl) studies
sequence-structure-function relationships in proteins and nucleic acids.
Our multidisciplinary team comprises experimentalists and theoreticians
with a very wide area of joint expertise. Examples of our successes
include the development of programs for modeling of protein and RNA
structures (e.g. GeneSilico metaserver, ModeRNA), prediction and
experimental characterization of new enzymes, and modeling-guided design
and engineering of enzymes with new substrate specificities.

For this position we are looking for an experienced postdoc / software
developer. We will consider candidates who have experience in the
development of software in computational biology, theoretical biophysics
and/or theoretical chemistry, and have understanding of macromolecular
structures (in particular proteins and nucleic acids).

The successful candidate will be responsible for taking over an already
running project focused on the development of RNA, protein, and
protein-RNA complex prediction methods (in particular based on coarse
graining and statistical potentials) and contributing towards its
further development and application in RNA/protein design and prediction
of effects of mutations on structure and function. The software is
written mostly in C/C++ and Python.

Apart from research, additional tasks will include co-supervising junior
group members (PhD students) and contributing to the integration of
software developed in the Bujnicki lab.

Postdocs who intend to become independent group leaders in the next step
of their career (outside of IIMCB) are particularly encouraged to apply
for this position.

This position is already open (so we can hire the right candidate right
away). The maximum period of employment is 36 months, gross salary 3000
Euro/month. There may be opportunities to apply for additional funding
after the project starts.

Requirements:

essential: PhD in computational, natural of life sciences; extensive
experience in software development documented by peer-reviewed
publications, very good programming skills (Python and C/C++ will be
used), good command of English (written and spoken).

preferred: experience in working with protein and nucleic acid
structures, experience in the development and use of 3D structure
prediction and modeling methods, machine learning methods, statistical
methods, data mining, knowledge of methods for macromolecular structure
prediction, in particular Monte Carlo simulations, Molecular Dynamics,
statistical potentials.

Applications in English (pdf format) should be sent to
employment at genesilico.pl.

Include a CV, a motivation letter, sample of documented software code
(of the candidate's sole authorship) in Python and C/C++, and contacts
of at least two potential referees (including at least one former
supervisor).

Application deadline: January 31, 2013, may be extended until a suitable
candidate is found.

Important: All applications must contain the following statement to
allow us process your data:
"I hereby give consent for my personal data included in the job offer to
be processed for the purposed of recruitment under the Data Protection
Act 1997 (Dz. U. 2002 no. 101, item 926 with subs. changes)." / "Wyrażam
zgodę na przetwarzanie danych osobowych w celach rekrutacji zgodnie z
ustawą z dnia 29 sierpnia 1997 r. o ochronie danych osobowych (tekst
jedn.: Dz U. z 2002 r. Nr 101, poz 926 z późn. zm.)."