[SocBiN] PhD Position in Stockholm

Arne Elofsson arne at bioinfo.se
Mon Apr 28 14:05:04 CEST 2014

*Ref. No. SU FV-0963-14 Project title: Prediction of membrane protein
complexes  *Project leader: Arne Elofsson, arne at bioinfo.se,
http://bioinfo.se/

Membrane proteins are the gateways to the cells and as such they are of
great importance for the development of drugs. In addition membrane
proteins are quite difficult to handle experimentally, therefore prediction
methods are important to gain information about these proteins. We have in
recent years developed a number of state of the art prediction
tools (SPOCTOPUS, SCAMPI etc) for membrane proteins as well as studied
structural and evolutionary features of these.

Our ultimate goal is to develop method that can be used to predict the
structure of membrane proteins and in particular of large molecular
complexes such as the TOM complex responsible for proteins import into the
mitochondria. To obtain these goals we are combining experimental and
theoretical studies in close collaboration. This position is for the
theoretical part of the project. Here we combine different machine learning
techniques (SVM, ANN, HMMs) with biological knowledge in innovative ways.

A general interest in protein, programming and machine learning methods and
a solid background in bioinformatics, physics or computer science is
suitable for this position. Please include the email address of two
references, examples of source code you have written and a description of
why you think my research is of interest to you. For a full list
of publication see http://bioinfo.se/papers/

Publications:

1) Contreras, F.X., Ernst, A.M., Haberkant, P., Bjorkholm, P., Lindahl, E.,
Gonen, B., Tischer, C., Elofsson, A., von Heijne, G., Thiele, C.,
Pepperkok, R., Wieland, F. and Brugger, B. (2012) Molecular recognition of
a single sphingolipid species by a protein's transmembrane domain. Nature
481 (7382) : 525-529.

2) Hedin, L.E., Illergard, K. and Elofsson, A. (2011) An Introduction to
Membrane Proteins (dagger). J Proteome Res 10 (8) : 3324-3331.

3) Hennerdal, A. and Elofsson, A. (2011) Rapid membrane protein topology
prediction. Bioinformatics 27 (9) : 1322-1323.

4) Bernsel, A., Viklund, H., Falk, J., Lindahl, E., von Heijne, G. and
Elofsson, A. (2008) Prediction of membrane-protein topology from first
principles. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 105 (20) : 7177-718.

To the application form for this
position<https://jobapplication.su.se/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fapplicationform_researchStudent.aspx%3fRNR%3dSU%20FV-0963-14&RNR=SU%20FV-0963-14>

Yours

Arne

  Arne Elofsson                Science for Life Laboratory
  Tel:+46-(0)852481531     Stockholm University
  http://bioinfo.se/             Box 1031,
  Email: arne at bioinfo.se   17121 Solna, Sweden
  Twitter:   https://twitter.com/arneelof
  Scholar: http://scholar.google.se/citations?user=s3OCM3AAAAAJ