[SocBiN] ASSISTANT or ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF BIOINFORMATICS FOR MICROBIOLOGY, DELFT

Jeroen de Ridder - EWI J.deRidder at tudelft.nl
Mon Jan 27 14:40:53 CET 2014

ASSISTANT or ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF BIOINFORMATICS FOR MICROBIOLOGY

The Delft University of Technology is seeking a new staff member for its bioinformatics ambitions in microbiology.

THE ORGANISATION: DELFT UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING, MATHEMATICS AND COMPUTER SCIENCE

The Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS) is known worldwide for its high academic quality and the social relevance of its research programmes. The faculty’s excellent facilities accentuate its international position in teaching and research. The faculty offers an interdisciplinary setting for its 500 employees, 350 PhD students and 1700 undergraduates. Together they work on a broad range of technical innovations in the fields of sustainable energy, telecommunications, microelectronics, embedded systems, computer and software engineering, interactive multimedia and applied mathematics. EEMCS: Your Connection to the Future.

The Department of Intelligent Systems conducts research on processing and interpretation of data to enable man and machine to deal with the increasing volume and complexity of data and communication. We have a strong focus on medical and health sciences. One of our research labs is the Delft Bioinformatics Lab (bioinformatics.tudelft.nl<http://bioinformatics.tudelft.nl>).

THE GROUP: THE DELFT BIOINFORMATICS LAB

The Delft Bioinformatics Lab performs research and educates students in the fields of bioinformatics for ‘health and disease’ and for ‘microbiology’. We stand out in designing novel data-driven algorithms that are based on the latest developments in the field of Pattern Recognition. We are inspired by a variety of applications but also want to further these scientific application domains with our solutions. Therefore, we actively collaborate with scientists that are at the forefront of their fields and participate in their research questions.

THE JOB

Within the Delft Bioinformatics Lab, the candidate heads the Bioinformatics for microbiology research theme and educational activities. This theme aims to improve understanding of microorganisms to either increase production yields or to produce new compounds or proteins. At the heart of this research is basic understanding of microorganisms under a variety of growth conditions as well as protein sequence properties that favour secretion. For this, the candidate designs pioneering bioinformatics methodologies emphasising on high-throughput (gen)omic data analysis. Impact in microbiology is realised by intense collaborations with eminent Dutch microbiologists in Delft, Utrecht and Leiden. The candidate expands these collaborations and launches novel research directions that firmly establish a position at the forefront of the international field of computational microbiology.

You will:

* Provide leadership in bioinformatics for microbiology research.
* Act as principal investigator, leading day-to-day research activities.
* Contribute to education at the BSc, MSc and PhD levels.
* Identify promising avenues with existing partners in microbiology and establish collaborations with internationally leading labs.
* Foster creativity and scientific excellence.
* Be active in relevant (computer science and biology) communities.

CANDIDATE REQUIREMENTS

The candidate has a PhD in computer science or a related discipline with a proven track record in bioinformatics. An affinity for pattern recognition and microbiology are considered an advantage. He/she must be able to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team and have the ambition to build partnerships with leading institutions worldwide. The candidate shares our view that communication skills are important, as is the ability to interact with peers, students and technical staff. Teaching experience is important; teaching certificates are considered to be an advantage.

CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT

TU Delft offers an attractive benefits package, including a flexible work week, free high-speed Internet access from home (with a contract of two years or longer), and the option of assembling a customised compensation and benefits package (the 'IKA'). Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities. The position offered is a tenure-track position for a period of five years. Based on performance indicators agreed upon at the start of the appointment, a decision will be made in the final year whether to offer you a permanent faculty position. TU Delft sets specific standards for the English competency of the teaching staff. TU Delft offers training to improve English competency. Inspiring, excellent education is our central aim. If you have less than five years of experience and have not yet obtained your teaching certificate, we allow you up to three years to complete this.

TENURE TRACK

A Tenure Track, a process leading up to a permanent appointment with the prospect of becoming an Associate or full Professor, offers young, talented academics a clear and attractive career path. During the Tenure Track, you will have the opportunity to develop into an internationally acknowledged and recognised academic. We offer a structured career and personal development programme designed to offer individual academics as much support as possible. For more information about the Tenure Track and the personal development programme, please visit www.tudelft.nl/tenuretrack<http://www.tudelft.nl/tenuretrack>.

INFORMATION AND APPLICATION

For more information about this position, please contact Prof. M.J.T. Reinders, phone: +31 (0)15-2786424, e-mail: m.j.t.reinders at tudelft.nl<mailto:m.j.t.reinders at tudelft.nl>. To apply, please e-mail a detailed CV, a research and an education statement, at least three references and at most five key publications along with a letter of application by 14 March 2014 to Mrs. C.J.C. Kohlmann-van Noord, Hr-eemcs at tudelft.nl<mailto:Hr-eemcs at tudelft.nl>.
When applying for this position, please refer to vacancy number EWI2014-01.