[SocBiN] 3 interdisciplinary PhD student positions in insect biosystematics / informatics / genomics

Fredrik Ronquist Fredrik.Ronquist at nrm.se
Thu Apr 23 08:10:23 CEST 2015

3 INTERDISCIPLINARY PHD STUDENT POSITIONS IN INSECT BIOSYSTEMATICS / INFORMATICS / GENOMICS

at the Swedish Museum of Natural History, Stockholm

The positions form part of a group of 15 PhD students now being recruited to the EU-funded Marie Sklodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network BIG4. The core of BIG4 is interdisciplinary, cutting-edge research on the diversity and evolution of the four largest insect orders: Hymenoptera, Diptera, Coleoptera, and Lepidoptera (‘Biosystematics, Informatics and Genomics of the 4 big insect groups’). The program offers unique opportunities in terms of preparing students for an academic or a business career. The training will include secondment to other European labs in the network, and to small companies in the biotechnology and IT sector. The program also includes network-wide training events, and seeks to build student skills in entrepreneurship, creativity and innovation.

One PhD student (I) will be using genomic approaches to analyze phylogenetic relationships among gall wasps, which have proved hard to resolve using traditional methods. The genomic data will then form the basis for identification and functional analysis of genes involved in the transitions between parasitoids, gall inducers and inquilines in this group of insects.

One PhD student (II) will develop new methods for analyzing environmental samples using massively parallel sequencing. In particular, we will be focusing on methods allowing broad qualitative and quantitative taxonomic analysis of the insect fauna in Malaise trap samples and soil samples. We will then use these methods to study the composition and spatial structure of insect faunas.

One PhD student (III) will be focused on the use of citizen science in accelerating research and discovery in insect systematics. For a suitable group of poorly known insects, we will develop visual identification aids based on advanced image analysis. The aim is to generate interest among citizen scientists in contributing to the systematic research on the chosen group, using a commercially viable app.

All three PhD student positions will be formally associated with the Department of Zoology at Stockholm University, which will award the PhD degrees. Two of the positions (I + II) will be hosted by he Ronquist lab at the Swedish Museum of Natural History; one (III) will be hosted by Savantic AB but supervised by the Ronquist lab, where some of the practical work will be done.

The Ronquist lab is one of the world leaders in the development of software for computational phylogenomics using Bayesian statistical methods. We also lead major biodiversity informatics initiatives, and collaborate with SciLifeLab, the national Swedish next-generation sequencing facility. Savantic AB (http://savanticab.com) is a consultant company specializing in bridging the gap between the research and business worlds. All consultants have a doctoral degree in physics. Specialty areas include image analysis, medical technology and environmental technology.

We are looking for candidates with a broad background, preferably including studies or training in entomology, genomics, bioinformatics, and programming. We expect that you will be creative and independent while being a good team player. Fluency in spoken and written English is essential. We will pay particular attention to scientific and creative talent and potential.

To be eligible for these positions, you need to fill the formal requirements to start a PhD program in biology, broadly construed, and less than 4 years of research experience counted as time of employment in research since receiving the degree for enrollment in a PhD. You cannot have resided or carried out your main activity (work or study) in Sweden for more than 12 months in the 3-year period immediately prior to the recruitment under the project.

Starting date is August 15, 2015. The positions are for four years.

For more information about the positions, contact Professor Fredrik Ronquist, Head of the Department of Bioinformatics and Genetics (fredrik.ronquist at nrm.se; +46 – 8 5195 4094). For more information about Savantic AB, contact Karin Carlsson (karin at savanticab.com).

The application should consist of a personal letter, a statement describing research interests and career goals (max 3 pages), a CV, and a transcript of your MSc diploma or equivalent. Applications for positions I and II should be marked with dnr 2.3.1-182-2015 and sent to rekrytering at nrm.se; applications for position III should be sent to Karin Carlsson at Savantic AB (karin at savanticab.com). Applications should be received no later than May 29, 2015.

Fredrik Ronquist
Professor, Dept. Bioinformatics and Genetics
Swedish Museum of Natural History, Stockholm
email: fredrik.ronquist at nrm.se