[SocBiN] Postdoc in Bayesian biodiversity analysis

Fredrik Ronquist Fredrik.Ronquist at nrm.se
Thu Apr 23 08:15:54 CEST 2015

POSTDOC in BAYESIAN BIODIVERSITY ANALYSIS

at the Swedish Museum of Natural History

Our group develops methods for Bayesian phylogenetic and phylogenomic inference, with numerous applications across the life sciences. We focus on applications to problems in evolutionary biology, biogeography and biodiversity, but the software we produce, MrBayes (http://mrbayes.net) and RevBayes (http://revbayes.com), is widely used for other problem areas as well.

In this project, funded by the Swedish Research Council, we will focus on analyses of data from massively parallel sequencing projects with RevBayes, our R-like computing environment. RevBayes is based on graphical model concepts, and is primarily intended for Bayesian analysis of complex evolutionary models. Within this general context, the successful candidate will have great freedom in formulating her or his project. The project can be focused on method development or empirical analyses, but should include a substantial computational component.

The ideal candidate should have a doctoral degree in evolutionary biology, bioinformatics, mathematics, statistics, or computer science. Regardless of your background, you should be familiar with biological research problems, be comfortable with mathematical and statistical reasoning, and have solid computational and programming skills. We will pay particular attention to scientific talent and potential.

The position is for two years with preferred starting date in the early fall of 2015. The Swedish Museum of Natural History (NRM) is one of the leading institutions of its kind in Europe. It combines a venerable tradition and unique collections with cutting-edge research in geology, paleontology and biology. The museum is close to Stockholm University, the Royal School of Engineering (KTH) and the Karolinska Institute. The Stockholm Phylogenomics Group (http://phylogenomics.se) engages research groups from all of these institutions. The Department of Bioinformatics and Genetics at NRM is focused on research in computational phylogenetics, population genetics and genomics. We run a DNA sequencing facility and host several national and international infrastructures.

The application should consist of a personal letter, a description of the planned research project (max 5 pages), and a CV. Mark your application with dnr 2.3.1-181-2015 and send it to rekrytering at nrm.se no later than May 29, 2015.

Fredrik Ronquist
Professor, Dept. Bioinformatics and Genetics
Swedish Museum of Natural History, Stockholm
email: fredrik.ronquist at nrm.se