[SocBiN] Jobs: Bioinformatics - Evolutionary Genomics, SciLifeLab & Stockholm University

Tanja Slotte Tanja.Slotte at scilifelab.se
Thu Apr 7 14:16:40 CEST 2016

Position in Bioinformatics / Evolutionary Genomics at Science for Life Laboratory and Stockholm University

* A 2-year position in bioinformatics/evolutionary genomics, with possibility for extension, is available in the research group of Dr. Tanja Slotte, a SciLifeLab Fellow in Ecological Genomics (https://tanjaslottelab.se).
* We address fundamental biological and evolutionary questions using advanced combinations of laboratory work and computational analyses - for recent examples of our work, see e.g. Slotte et al. 2013 Nature Genetics, Douglas et al 2015 PNAS, Steige et al 2015 MBE.

The position
* For us, bioinformatics is central to staying at the forefront at our field, and you will have a key position in our team, working closely together with group members all the way from planning experiments to final analyses and visualizations of results.
* You will be part of a tight interdisciplinary team working with large-scale data analyses based on NGS sequencing and omics data from multiple technology platforms.
* You will be part of the vibrant and growing bioinformatics community at SciLifeLab, and for knowledge transfer within SciLifeLab, you will also be affiliated with the National Bioinformatics Infrastructure Sweden (NBIS; www.bils.se, www.nbis.se).

Qualifications
* We seek a candidate with a PhD in bioinformatics or a related field who has strong competence in analyses of next-generation sequencing (NGS) data, and who has the ability to drive projects and collaborate productively with team members.
* You need to be proficient in one or more scripting languages (e.g. Perl, Python, Ruby) and familiar with Unix environments.
* Basic understanding of statistics and probability, or a background in population genomics/comparative genomics is beneficial, as this is a strong component of our work.
* Experience of working with PacBio data is a merit.
* Excellent organizational skills and communication skills in both written and spoken English are required.

The environment
* We are located at Science for Life Laboratories in Stockholm (http://www.scilifelab.se), which harbors world-leading expertise in high-throughput sequencing technology and bioinformatics.
* The working atmosphere is international with English as the working language. The city of Stockholm is known for its beauty, its buildings and architecture and its abundant clean and open water.

Application
* Please apply online through the Stockholm University application system no later than April 30th: http://www.su.se/english/about/vacancies/vacancies-new-list?rmpage=job&rmjob=1389
* For questions about the position, please contact Dr. Tanja Slotte (tanja.slotte at su.se)

Tanja Slotte, SciLifeLab Fellow in Ecological Genomics
Department of Ecology, Environment and Plant Sciences
Stockholm University

Email: Tanja.Slotte at su.se; Tanja.Slotte at scilifelab.se

Visiting Address:
SciLifeLab Stockholm