[SocBiN] Postdoc position Karolinska/Oxford

Phil Ewels phil.ewels at scilifelab.se
Wed Aug 1 17:50:33 CEST 2018

Hi all,

Please see below for an excellent job opportunity in Stockholm / Oxford:

https://ki.varbi.com/en/what:job/jobID:220217/
Application deadline: August 13th 2018.

The successful candidate will work in the Epigenetic group headed by Dr M. Jagodic (http://ki.se/en/cns/maja-jagodics-research-group). The group is a part of the Karolinska Neuroimmunology and Multiple Sclerosis (KNIMS) center which gathers around 40 researchers working on different aspects of pathogenesis of Multiple Sclerosis (MS), including genetics, epidemiology, immunology and epigenetics, with excellent clinical cohorts and experimental models.

Multiple Sclerosis (MS) is an immune-mediated disease with complex interactions between genetic and environmental risk factors resulting in a highly heterogeneous disease with respect to its clinical presentation and treatment response. Therefore, identifying factors that contribute to this clinical variability is a major research goal within our group using a cohort of clinically  well characterised patients followed up for over 12 years. We are looking for a postdoctoral researcher who will develop and implement bioinformatic approaches to (i) stratify patients into distinct subgroups based on multiple omics and phenotypic data, and (ii) identify prognostic biomarkers based on most discriminative classifiers. This includes analysis of data generated from different genomic platforms (e.g. HumanMethylation450 BeadChip array) as well as developing predictive algorithms for disease severity based on genetic, epigenetic and environmental information.

The work will include design of analysis, data processing, quality control, statistical analyses, data interpretation and presentation of findings in the form of scientific publications, grant applications and at meetings and conferences. The post-holder will to a minor extent also provide support to the ULTRA-DD research teams at the Division of Rheumatology regarding data management and analysis, using the Scarab database system.

The tasks will be carried out in close collaboration with Prof. Julian Knight at the Welcome Centre for Human Genetics at the University of Oxford and with Dr. Brian Marsden, at Structural Genomics ConsortiumOxford. To this end, it is expected that the successful candidate will spend a minimum of 1/4 of the time in Oxford as a visiting scientist and carry out relevant parts of the project at our collaborators’ laboratories.

Phil

--
Phil Ewels, Ph.D.
Head of Facility, NGI Applications Development