[Astronomy seminar] Astronomy departmental seminar Friday November 3 at 10:30am - Linn Boldt-Christmas (Uppsala University)

Mon Oct 30 12:12:23 CET 2023

Dear all,

The next SU astronomy departmental seminar will take place on Friday November 3 at 10:30am in room FC61 (AlbaNova building, 6th floor) and on zoom (https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/s/61002076352).

___________________

Speaker: Linn Boldt-Christmas (Uppsala University)

Title: The Exoplanet Exposure Triangle: Optimising spectroscopic observations of transiting exoplanets’ atmospheres

Event: https://indico.fysik.su.se/e/linn-boldt-christmas

Abstract:

Transiting exoplanets provide opportunities for us to observe their atmospheres and to analyse them using spectroscopy. As the characterisation of exoplanetary atmospheres relies on the detection of spectrally resolved features, analysis can be improved with high signal-to-noise ratios (SNR) that are possible to obtain today with modern spectrographs. However, obtaining high SNR through adjusting exposure times comes with a trade-off. A higher cadence of several, shorter exposures minimises the spectral feature smearing that arises due to the continuously changing radial velocity of the planet; but a lower cadence of fewer, longer exposures collects more photons with reduced overheads and readout noise, enhancing the SNR of each observation. As such, there is a need to establish what the optimal compromise is between the SNR and time resolution for a given target. In this talk, I will present the results of our search for this compromise using simulated VLT/CRIRES+ spectra and cross-correlation analysis, together with our conclusions which form recommendations for observers that are planning studies of exoplanetary atmospheres using ground-based instrumentation.

___________________

We look forward to seeing many of you there. Thanks!

Adur and Adélaïde

Upcoming Events:

2023-11-10 Alberto Saldana Lopez

2023-11-17 TBA

2023-11-24 Aline Chu

2023-12-01 Heitor Ernandes

2023-12-08 Quentin Perceval Xavier Pognan

--- Winter break ---

You can subscribe to the seminars calendar in: https://ttt.astro.su.se/ical/astro-seminars.ics

(Please note that calendar can be subject to updates)

Join Zoom Meeting:

https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/s/61002076352

Meeting ID: 610 0207 6352