[Astronomy seminar] Reminder: Astronomy departmental seminar Friday November 3 at 10:30am - Linn Boldt-Christmas (Uppsala University)

Fri Nov 3 09:34:53 CET 2023

Dear all,

This is a reminder of the weekly SU astronomy departmental seminar that
will take place in about 55 minutes, at 10:30am in room FC61 (AlbaNova
building, 6th floor) and on zoom
(https://stockholmuniversity.zoom.us/s/61002076352). As usual, we
encourage you to attend in person if possible.

———————————

Speaker: Linn Boldt-Christmas (Uppsala University)
Title: The Exoplanet Exposure Triangle: Optimising spectroscopic
observations of transiting exoplanets’ atmospheres
Event: https://indico.fysik.su.se/e/linn-boldt-christmas

Abstract:
Transiting exoplanets provide opportunities for us to observe their
atmospheres and to analyse them using spectroscopy. As the
characterisation of exoplanetary atmospheres relies on the detection of
spectrally resolved features, analysis can be improved with high
signal-to-noise ratios (SNR) that are possible to obtain today with
modern spectrographs. However, obtaining high SNR through adjusting
exposure times comes with a trade-off. A higher cadence of several,
shorter exposures minimises the spectral feature smearing that arises
due to the continuously changing radial velocity of the planet; but a
lower cadence of fewer, longer exposures collects more photons with
reduced overheads and readout noise, enhancing the SNR of each
observation. As such, there is a need to establish what the optimal
compromise is between the SNR and time resolution for a given target. In
this talk, I will present the results of our search for this compromise
using simulated VLT/CRIRES+ spectra and cross-correlation analysis,
together with our conclusions which form recommendations for observers
that are planning studies of exoplanetary atmospheres using ground-based
instrumentation.
___________________

We look forward to seeing many of you there. Thanks!

Adur and Adélaïde

Upcoming Events:

2023-11-10 *Cancelled*
2023-11-17 Alberto Saldana Lopez
2023-11-24 Aline Chu
2023-12-01 Heitor Ernandes
2023-12-08 Quentin Perceval Xavier Pognan

--- Winter break ---

You can subscribe to the seminars calendar in:
https://ttt.astro.su.se/ical/astro-seminars.ics
(Please note that calendar can be subject to updates)