[SocBiN] PhD or Postdoc position @ Delft Bioinformatics Lab - Delft University of Technology

Jeroen de Ridder - EWI J.deRidder at tudelft.nl
Tue Mar 12 15:21:39 CET 2013

We have an open position for a PhD or PostDoc on the topic of Computational Cancer Biology / Bioinformatics!

http://recruitment2.tudelft.nl/vacatures/index.php?type=a&lang=en&id=526490

Post­doc or PhD in Bioinformatics

Department/faculty: Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science Level: Master degree
Working hours: 38 hours per week
Contract: 3 years (4 for PhD)

Salary: €2042 to €3755 per month gross

Job description

Cancer is a complex disease caused by a myriad of changes in the DNA sequence. We are currently entering an era in which it is possible to determine the complete sequence of a cancer genome and capture a near­complete DNA mutation profile. As a result, it is becoming clear that each individual tumour is unique. A key question in cancer research is thus: how can we resolve the molecular mechanisms of cancer if the mutation profile is different for each tumour?

In this project, we address this challenge with scale­space theory, allowing us to redefine a common mutation without making prior assumptions on the scale at which these mutations are apparent. This is important because a cancer gene can be disrupted by a single base pair change or a large­scale deletion of a chromosome arm, two completely different (spatial) scales along the genome axis. By combining data across all possible scales, and by defining structure in these data at the appropriate scale, statistical power to detect a common ‘mutation’, and thus cancer genes, is maximised.

Scale­space theory can also be used when scale is defined in terms of a functional distance, such as in gene interaction networks, rather than a base pair distance. This allows us to define common mutation of function, such as signaling cascades (small­scale) or whole genetic pathways (large­scale). In addition to revealing novel biomarkers for cancer, we envision this will provide invaluable insight into the context in which cancer genes deregulate important cellular processes, thus revealing new avenues for personalised treatment strategies.

Requirements

We are looking for candidates who have demonstrated excellence in one of the following (or related) fields: bioinformatics, (bio)statistics, machine vision, pattern recognition or computer science. Candidates should possess an MSc degree (PhD for a post­doc appointment) and are expected to be fluent in written and spoken English. Knowledge of molecular biology is an advantage. Candidates are expected to be interested in working at the boundaries of several research domains (computer science, bioinformatics, molecular biology), and with people from several international institutes (e.g. Kluyver, NKI).

Conditions of employment

The successful PhD candidate will be employed full­time by TU Delft for a fixed period of 4 years within which he or she is expected to write a dissertation leading to a doctoral degree (PhD thesis). The starting salary for a PhD is €2062 gross per month increasing to a maximum of €2638 gross per month in the fourth year. The starting salary for a Post­doc is €3007.
TU Delft offers an attractive benefits package, including a flexible work week, free high­speed Internet access from home (with a contract of two years or longer), and the option of assembling a customised compensation and benefits package (the 'IKA'). Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.

Information and application

For more information about this position, please contact Dr. Jeroen de Ridder, phone: +31 (0)15­2783418, e­mail: j.deridder at tudelft.nl<mailto:j.deridder at tudelft.nl>.  To apply, please e­mail a detailed CV including contact details of references, a course list with grades and a letter of application in which you explain both your interest and the relevance of your skills and experience in the context of this research project. Please e­mail your application by 15 april 2013 to Mrs. W. M. Dicke, Hr­eemcs at tudelft.nl<http://tudelft.nl/>.

When applying for this position, please refer to vacancy number EWI2013­07.